Only one serious injury occurred while re-doing the coffee table I found in the trash last week. It was overshadowed by excitement and I just yanked the staple out of my thumb and reassured my mother that I have certainly had a tetanus shot sometime in the last ten years, I think. Besides, the staple wasn’t even rusty.
I ordered fabric from a website that I love called Fabricguru.com. They will ship any amount of fabric for $4.99. I was able to get a heavy cotton decorator fabric with a large floral print for $12.99/yard.
We bought 2 inch foam, fleece fabric and buttons from JoAnn’s. All together the supplies cost about $60. We cut the foam with a bread knife to fit the top. We marked where we wanted the buttons to go and drilled holes in the top of the table. Then we stapled a fleece lining around the foam to the underside of the table.
I marked the holes again on the top of the foam and made holes in the foam using a large drill bit. Then we stretched and stapled the fabric over the top of the table, centering the pattern over the table. Using a large needle and nylon cord, I went up through the first hole from the underside of the table and threaded the first button.
I brought the cord back through the fabric and tied one end to a nail. Then we pulled it tight and retied the knot so it would not go back through the hole. This created a tufted top on the ottoman. We did this eight times.
Underside of the table.
This is me in my pajamas working on it. It was helpful to have Angela there to push on the button so the tuft was really tight. She only has a few bruises.
The wood on the bottom shelf was in good shape, so I gave it a quick wipe with Old English and we moved it to the family room. It is so comfy!
I love it.